||[Sep. 17th, 2008|02:05 am]
- Had interviews last Wednesday, followed by preparing for trip in Abey's place. I got to sleep for 3 hours on a deflatable bed.
- Rose at 5:30 - got breakfast and hit the road at 6am with motosycho.
- Ferry to Hollyhead, and drive through north Wales with a GPS navigator called Eliza.
- Eliza has some interesting ideas of a route, and drove us not just through some scenic non-motorways (A-roads - namely the A5), but some weird little backroads just before Bets-y-coed.
- Related to the point above - Welsh valleys plus Bohemian Rhapsody equals pure cool.
- Got to Stratford-upon-Avon and waited from some time past 9pm so as to get cancellation tickets for the next day. Met some interesting people. By the end of the onslaught, I felt like I'd known them for years. In fact, I referred to hours in terms of months.
- After sleep-dep madness set in, we finally got tickets. First song on the cd player when we drove to B&B was We are the Champions - this was not intended, but full of win. Unfortunately sleep-dep left us all (except motosycho, who slept in the car all night) in a state where we were unable to appreciate any sense of success, and instead wanted to sleep.
- That Thursday night, got to witness Dr Hamlet and Capt Claudius Picard. Was much fun and makes me want to read it just to see if I can still see the nuances they read into it. It's made me realise how good the Royal Shakespeare Company plays are. It made the Red-eye worth it. All in all: Best September 11th, EVAR!
- Went to London. Were lodging in slums of Greenwich (or Deptford or Lewisham... depending on the signs you read)
- Got to see Batman Begins on an Eee thanks to the generous contribution of one of the Red-eyes. This was in preparation for my viewing of Dark Knight on the iMax in London (I'd not seen it before so this was an *experience*). The iMax showing was at 11.30pm so we had time to kill, so I got to see Wall-E (another one I'd not seen before, despite good intentions).
- Explored Camden and Soho. I don't particularly like the vibe of Soho. Did get to smoke a shisha in Camden though. Got some nice teas, some or all of which will be used in various meads.
- On last full day, we tried to get an early night for a 6am start, and failed as the pub downstairs was playing reggae music until an ungodly hour. I slept a few hours, but motosycho didn't - as he was our main driver... this was a problem.
- All through England we were in a foul mood.
- We cursed Eliza, the M25 and all humanity that weren't us. We felt London had turned us into heartless bigots.
- Wales returned us to a state fit for human consumption.
- On ferry back home, I got a call from Sun. But as I was on a ferry, the reception was dire so I had to call today.
- On calling back, it seems I have a second interview for Patch on Friday. Nice.
So yeah, that's about it.